Are there recommended reading and documentaries about Cuba
Yes, tons! We do recommend learning a little about the history and politics of Cuba before your travel to Cuba as it will enhance your understanding of the complex history of the island. Returning travelers have told us so!
- The Cuba Libre Story
- Cuba and the Cameraman
- Barcardi and the Long Fight for Cuba
- The Cubans: Ordinary Lives in Extraordinary Times by Anthony DePalma. Modern Cuba comes alive in a vibrant portrait of a group of families’ varied journeys in one community over the last twenty years.
- Trading with the Enemy: A Yankee through Castro’s Cuba by Tom Miller. A great travel book about Cuba
- The Other Side of Paradise: Life in the new Cuba by Julia Cooke
A journalist tells of the island’s state of affairs through the portrait of Cubans she met while living there for 5 years.
- The Boys from Dolores: Fidel Castro’s classmates from revolution to exile by Patrick Symmes
- Cuban Revelations: Behind the Scenes in Havana by Marc Frank
A behind-the-scenes look at Cuba through the eyes and words of an American journalist who has lived in Cuba for more than 20 years.
- Lastly, We’re Lost. This Must be the Way: An exploration of resilience and hope through Central American and Cuba. The authors, Claire & Roger Dewy, are clients of Espíritu Travel who traveled to Cuba with us in 2018.