Recommended reading and documentaries/films about Cuba
We recommend learning a little about the history and politics of Cuba before departing as it will enhance your trip and help you to understand the places that you are seeing and visiting.
It also helps when speaking with Cubans that you know at least a little bit about their history as they will surely know about the U.S.
- Trading with the Enemy: A Yankee through Castro’s Cuba by Tom Miller
A great travel book about Cuba
- Lonely Planet Guide: Cuba
A good resource for practical information about Cuba
- The Other Side of Paradise: Life in the new Cuba by Julia Cooke
A journalist tells of island’s state of affairs through the portrait of Cubans she met while living there for 5 years.
- The Boys from Dolores: Fidel Castro’s classmates from revolution to exile by Patrick Symmes
- Cuban Revelations: Behind the Scenes in Havana by Marc Frank
A behind the scenes look at Cuba through the eyes and words of an American journalist who has lived in Cuba for more than 20 years.