The Support for Cuban People travel category means that the tours are structured in a way that directly benefit Cuban people and emphasizes cultural interactions between Americans and Cubans which will provide a deeper understanding of Cuban life and its people, something which the independent travelers wouldn’t necessarily experience. Our trips have always directly benefited Cuban people because we work with Cuban entrepreneurs, those who casas particulares, paladares, independent guides and small businesses. In this way, your trip is directlyl benefiting Cuban people.
Information about trips support for Cuban people
A people-to-people tour is a group tour in which a US chaperone must be the group at all time whereas the category of Support for Cuban people it is not required thus it is the way to have a legal travel to Cuba for Americans. Espíritu Travel to Cuba offers specially designed Support for Cuba People itineraries which will allow you to travel to Cuba without a special permit legally even with the recent changes in the regulations.
What does the category require?
To understand what is required by the category, take a look at the legal text of the Support for the Cuban People category, with examples.
We make you a summary of the most important:
- A traveler is required to provide support for the Cuban people and promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba.
- A traveler is required to engage in “Support for the Cuban People activities consistent with a full-time schedule. These types of activities include:
- Meeting with local entrepreneurs and artists
- Explore independent museums
- Independent markets
- Dance classes (popular and folkloric dances)
- Meeting and engaging with musicians at a show
- Art shows
- Discuss Cuban society with locals
- You must retain records, like receipts and itineraries, and keep them on hand for five years.
- A traveler must avoid all transactions with a GAESA-owned (military-owned) business.
Want help planning your trip and meeting the new Cuba travel requirements? Choose one of our small groups trips of no more than 6 people or we can create a customized trip for you.